Weatherization and Energy Efficiency

The Weatherization Assistance Program helps low-income households with reducing energy expenses by installing energy conservation materials and products which help lower utility bills and maintain a safer, more comfortable home. These materials and products also reduce the consumption of energy and the cost of maintenance for these homes. Assistance is available for eligible owner-and tenant-occupied properties. Upon completion of the weatherization work, each house is required to have a Quality Control Inspection conducted by a Weatherization Assistance Program inspector. This inspection is conducted to ensure each energy measures has been installed according to the program guidelines, and for quality and completeness.

We offer a range of free services to qualified families including an energy audit, safety testing and repair of central heating and cooling system equipment, and the installation of other energy conservation measures such as:

  • Installation of attic insulation
  • Air sealing  with caulk, foam and weather-stripping
  • Insulating your water heater tank with an insulation blanket
  • Replacing incandescent light bulbs with LED Lightbulbs
  • Low flow showerhead device
  • Sink faucet aerators
  • Heating and Cooling system clean and tune
  • Carbon monoxide and smoke alarm installation/replacement
  • Appliance replacement* with Energy Star-rated appliances only such as:
    • Water heater
    • Heating/cooling system
    • Refrigerator
    • Dishwasher
    • Washer machine
    • Clothes dryer
    • Window AC unit
    • Bath fan

      *appliances are only replaced when found to be inoperable or not working at their intended efficiency rate

Who is eligible?

All applicants must be income eligible (see guidelines below) and able to prove ownership of the housing unit. Owner-occupied properties must prove ownership by providing any of the following documentation: Property tax bill, copy of deed, copy of the SDAT sheet, property location plot with owner/applicant name and address, or the trailer/mobile home title.

For rental applicants, the landlord or property owner must provide documentation to prove ownership/association to the property if acting on behalf of the property owner. The landlord/property owner must also agree to participate in the Weatherization Assistance Program by signing a Permission to Enter form, and the Owner Agreement form.

Income Guidelines

Varying household income requirements must be met to be eligible for program support.  The following links explain income limits for each funding source.

How do I apply?

Apply online or complete a pre-application and send it to:

LIGHT Intake & Assessment Unit

417 East Fayette Street, Suite 1125

Baltimore, MD 21202

If you have any questions, please contact us at (410) 396-3023.